V-Twin

 Which brand of touring motorcycle would you buy if Indian/Victory didn’t exist? 19  votes

 BMW 2 votes
10%
 Ducati 2 votes
10%
 Harley-Davidson 6 votes
31%
 Honda 2 votes
10%
 Kawasaki 2 votes
10%
 KTM 0 votes
0%
 Moto Guzzi 0 votes
0%
 Suzuki 0 votes
0%
 Triumph 4 votes
21%
 Yahama 1 vote
5%
 Other 0 votes
0%
Please sign up or log in to vote.
So in this made-up, horrific, parallel universe, Polaris does not make motorcycles.  But you want a new touring motorcycle.  Which brand would you choose (poll) and tell us which model you would buy (in your post).  If you can muster up a reason why you would choose that model, that would be awesome.

It doesn’t matter if a specific model is available in Australia/NZ or not.  If they are sold new today in volume (not some one of limited edition bike, alright?), somewhere in the world, you can choose it.

Just for fun!  😀
Let's be kind to one another.
Melbourne, Victoria
Quote 0 0
CHF10
Either the CVO Road Glide or the Road King Special. 

I started out wanting a Harley until I road the Indian. Harley is a very very close second for me. And will likely be my next two wheeled addition.
Live free or die!
Quote 0 0
V-Twin
I will vote Harley on the assumption that they will fix their engine issues and launch a new touring frame like they did with Softail models.  My reason is because I like the v-twin exhaust sound and I also prefer feet-forward riding position.  However, I am willing to consider BMW K1600 or 2018 Honda Goldwing.  So many bikes!!  ...dam it!  I should have invested in crypto currency when they were $0.01 each. 😢🙈
Let's be kind to one another.
Melbourne, Victoria
Quote 0 0
Silversmoke
While it would be difficult to contemplate not riding a chieftain, the 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour would get my money. They are a bit vanilla but nothing comes close to them for high speed comfortable mile munching. Not to mention reliability.

Silversmoke
2017 Chieftain
Quote 2 0
CHF10
The "new Milwaukee 8 engines" are out but no official word on resolved issues that I've been able to find, other than Harley referring to them as the new M8. Considering the M8 is no longer new, I hope it means a new version of it. 
Live free or die!
Quote 0 0
V-Twin
CHF10 wrote:
Considering the M8 is no longer new, I hope it means a new version of it. 
I could be wrong but they might still be referring to the original 2017 M8... or in the case of Softail, maybe they are referring to the fully counter balanced 107ci and 114ci engines (new for 2018MY)?
Let's be kind to one another.
Melbourne, Victoria
Quote 0 0
Dr.Shifty
I have a Kawasaki in the shed that has done me for ten years. It was only the World's Fastest Indian movie coming out not long before the new Scout appeared that I even thought of buying another bike.
Cheers, Kim.

From Woodrising (no, nobody else has heard of it either)
Rides a Springfield Dark Horse
Quote 0 0
JuanPoop
I had a walk around the Sydney (Alexandria?) HD dealership this week.  
Lots of good looking models, even though my SF is definitely a long term hold.

aka - John
2017 Springfield - grey / burgundy
Northern Beaches - Sydney
Quote 0 0
V-Twin
JuanPoop wrote:
I had a walk around the Sydney (Alexandria?) HD dealership this week.  
Lots of good looking models, even though my SF is definitely a long term hold.
I think it is always good to have an open mind.  Not to mention that our riding requirements change.
Let's be kind to one another.
Melbourne, Victoria
Quote 0 0
Mick
Kawasaki 1700 Nomad had one before my Springfield great tourer I would have kept it if there were no Indians 
Mick
Quote 0 0
DrZ
ysvtranstour.jpg 

It would probably the the Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental Tour.  Looks a bit like they stole some Goldwing and Roadmaster ideas but I test rode one...it is an amazing scoot.  Cost about the same as my Roadmaster but is heavier still.

Lots of bells and whistles plus the highest quality rating of any of the touring scoots.

Semper Fi,
Z
Bike History
2015 Indian Roadmaster , 2014 Indian Chieftain, 2005 Honda Goldwing GL1800, 1999 HD Road King Classic, 1994 HD Fatboy, 1986 HD  Heritage Softail, 1978 HD ElectraGlide, 1972 HD SuperGlide, 1969 HD XLCH Sportster, 1945 HD WLA,  1963 Honda 305 Dream.
USMC 1969 - 1978
Quote 2 0
CHF10
Ok, so I think I seriously want to try the 2018 Honda Gold wing! 
Live free or die!
Quote 1 0
V-Twin
DrZ wrote:
  It would probably the the Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental Tour.  Looks a bit like they stole some Goldwing and Roadmaster ideas but I test rode one...it is an amazing scoot.  
Hey Zeee, I would love to test ride one too... they are not even destined to land in Oz.  😏
Let's be kind to one another.
Melbourne, Victoria
Quote 0 0
V-Twin
CHF10 wrote:
Ok, so I think I seriously want to try the 2018 Honda Gold wing! 
Me too!!  Unfortunately, only the top of the range ($45,394) will be available in 7 speed DCT.  I just want to try a motorcycle with DCT... not sure if I would want to own one but it will be an experience.  😎
Let's be kind to one another.
Melbourne, Victoria
Quote 0 0
CHF10

V-Twin wrote:
Me too!!  Unfortunately, only the top of the range ($45,394) will be available in 7 speed DCT.  I just want to try a motorcycle with DCT... not sure if I would want to own one but it will be an experience.  ðŸ˜Ž

 

DCT, reverse, park brake, double wishbone front end. It's also slimmed down a lot compared to the old models - looks slimmer than my Chieftain. I actually really like the look of it. For long trips it would just be luxury while still being a motorbike you can have some fun on.

Don't think I could cough up that much cash though.

Live free or die!
Quote 0 0
V-Twin
CHF10 wrote:
DCT, reverse, park brake, double wishbone front end. It's also slimmed down a lot compared to the old models - looks slimmer than my Chieftain. I actually really like the look of it. For long trips it would just be luxury while still being a motorbike you can have some fun on.

Don't think I could cough up that much cash though.

If you can live without the DCT, a Chieftain equivalent is $38,205 and it looks pretty alright to me.  Maybe bit modern... I do like the old school look better but... Goldwing will FLY!  ...without the Stage 3 Big Bore kit! 😆🙈

honda-goldwing.jpg 

I don’t know if I will like the mid-mounted foot control. 🤔

Let's be kind to one another.
Melbourne, Victoria
Quote 0 0
DrZ
V-Twin wrote:
Hey Zeee, I would love to test ride one too... they are not even destined to land in Oz.  😏


I am sorry to hear that.  It really is an amazing ride.  Plenty of power.  Comfortable riding position and the shocks really absorb the typical bs we see on the road.  The back jug is hot but not as hot as the RM.  The electric forward and reverse make it quite a bit easier on my knees and back.

Semper Fi,
Z

Bike History
2015 Indian Roadmaster , 2014 Indian Chieftain, 2005 Honda Goldwing GL1800, 1999 HD Road King Classic, 1994 HD Fatboy, 1986 HD  Heritage Softail, 1978 HD ElectraGlide, 1972 HD SuperGlide, 1969 HD XLCH Sportster, 1945 HD WLA,  1963 Honda 305 Dream.
USMC 1969 - 1978
Quote 1 0
V-Twin
Hey Zee, is the windshield electrically adjustable on the Star Venture?
Let's be kind to one another.
Melbourne, Victoria
Quote 0 0
DrZ
V-Twin wrote:
Hey Zee, is the windshield electrically adjustable on the Star Venture?


Yes.  Adjusts but is a bit shorter than the RM.

Only comes with a toe shifter.  And currently you would have to buy a new toe and heel shifter to replace it.

Semper Fi,
Z
Bike History
2015 Indian Roadmaster , 2014 Indian Chieftain, 2005 Honda Goldwing GL1800, 1999 HD Road King Classic, 1994 HD Fatboy, 1986 HD  Heritage Softail, 1978 HD ElectraGlide, 1972 HD SuperGlide, 1969 HD XLCH Sportster, 1945 HD WLA,  1963 Honda 305 Dream.
USMC 1969 - 1978
Quote 0 0
V-Twin
DrZ wrote:
Yes.  Adjusts but is a bit shorter than the RM.

Only comes with a toe shifter.  And currently you would have to buy a new toe and heel shifter to replace it.
Thanks for the info on the screen.

Re: toe shifter only - that’s similar to Indians then.

I hope Yamaha will consider bringing into the country.  If not, perfect for private import.  I believe it is easier to import new bikes into Australia if the manufacturer doesn’t bring them into the country.
Let's be kind to one another.
Melbourne, Victoria
Quote 0 0