stevenlb21 Show full post »
faceonahead
I've had mine sit in storage not in trickle charge for over 4weeks no issue, my battery was still stayings when I replaced it today but it was on its last legs
2020 Challenger Dark Horse, stage 1 pipes and air and a stack of minor mostly cosmetic mods
Quote 0 0
V-Twin
So, they fitted the new battery (no cost - nearly said "no charge"!!!! LOL!!!)
That made me laugh!  😆

the bike starts up to 5 days, without re-charging, but I haven't left it longer than that, yet, to see how long it will last, and if the Bike will re-charge enough, while I am riding it.
If it was my bike, I will not 'test' that out.  As I understand it, motorcycle batteries have a memory like old mobile phone batteries (but works differently).  If the battery depletes low enough and stays there long enough, it will never charge to the original 100% capacity.  Your battery might only charge up to 95%... which will become the new, 'full charge'.  If you repeat the process, the 95% will drop to 90% and keep on going down.

For right or wrong, I usually plug my battery into tender as soon as the engine cools down... if I remember.  Otherwise, next time I am in the garage. 

if I go away for a weekend on the Bike, and use the stereo, GPS and other electronic gear fitted as standard, I'll be taking an extension cord and the trickle-charger with me, just in case!!!!
I don't think that will be necessary.  If the bike is constantly moving, the alternator should be able to run everything on your bike and still charge the battery.  So, unless you are planning to stay in one motel for several days at a time, I wouldn't think the tender is necessary.
Let's be kind to one another.
Melbourne, Victoria
Quote 0 0
Frank Gillies
Thanks for the responses and advice.
I try to ride my Bike every weekend, so, hopefully, the charge will last that long, and re-charge, fully, when I ride it.
Don't know if a "Battery % Charge" gauge would be necessary, or just a "mind-at-peace" addition, but that would draw current, too, I suppose.
Hope the new battery has "cured" the problem.
Thanks.

Frank
Quote 1 0
JuanPoop
stevenlb21 wrote:
Hi Guys and Gals,

Just an update on the battery issue:

I went into Indian Ashfield and pick up my bike today, had a good talk to Gabriel, who I might add is a top bloke to deal with, so they replaced the old battery with a brand new one, he told me that there was a possibility of a ‘parasitic draw’ so my bike has been re-flashed with the latest updates, so all electronics are now to 2018 specs.

So now I should be hassle free


                 


Yep, I had exactly the same experience - this week.
Gabriel was very helpful and also mentioned the parasitic draw issue, although when questioned, said it was all clear on diagnostics and they couldn't find a rogue draw anywhere.
Anyway, I had the bike back next next day, new battery fitted, reflashed and riding fine - happy with that.
He mentioned I should get a tender and although I can't see why I should need it, I am not going to take the chance.
I guess I don't trust these Indian batteries now...
Just working out which one - probably the Ctek 5A.

aka - John
2017 Springfield - grey / burgundy
Northern Beaches - Sydney
Quote 0 0
stevenlb21
John I have CTek battery tender/ charger a well as my Harley one. The only problem with CTek is they are bloody expensive but they do a lot more than a normal tender.

I myself would not buy one because they are expensive, the reason I have one is because I used to install them in cardboard compactors at Woolworth stores.
Cheers......Steve
Penrith, NSW

2015 Indian Chieftain (Indian Motorcycle Red)
"TECUMSEH"
IMRG Membership No.  AU101486

Meanwhile back at the Ranch, Tonto disguised as a door gets his knob shot off !!!.

Quote 1 0
JuanPoop
stevenlb21 wrote:
John I have CTek battery tender/ charger a well as my Harley one. The only problem with CTek is they are bloody expensive but they do a lot more than a normal tender.

I myself would not buy one because they are expensive, the reason I have one is because I used to install them in cardboard compactors at Woolworth stores.


Thanks Steve, I ended up getting the CTek after all.  You are right they are a bit expensive, but I have become accustomed to everything I get for this beast costing me a bit more than anything I have ever owned before...  

aka - John
2017 Springfield - grey / burgundy
Northern Beaches - Sydney
Quote 0 0
stevenlb21
JuanPoop wrote:


Thanks Steve, I ended up getting the CTek after all.  You are right they are a bit expensive, but I have become accustomed to everything I get for this beast costing me a bit more than anything I have ever owned before...  

Despite the cost they are a very good unit.
I use my C-Tek for charging the batteries in my camper trailer and 4WD
Cheers......Steve
Penrith, NSW

2015 Indian Chieftain (Indian Motorcycle Red)
"TECUMSEH"
IMRG Membership No.  AU101486

Meanwhile back at the Ranch, Tonto disguised as a door gets his knob shot off !!!.

Quote 0 0
Dr.Shifty
The C-Tek bike charger/tender was on special at Repco a few days ago. It might be worth checking out if they still have the lower price.
Cheers, Kim.

From Woodrising (no, nobody else has heard of it either)
Rides a Springfield Dark Horse
Quote 0 0
Harro
Used the C-Tek myself for about 3 years now and no problems.  Very good unit.
Cheers,
Harro

Red Vintage
Quote 0 0
crash
I kind of agree with your sentiments.

I have NEVER had a bike on trickle charge to keep the battery topped up - but then I don't leave it for extended periods of time either in all fairness. 

I went away for a two week vacation without my RM being on a charger and on my return it started just fine.

My thought is that the charging facility on the bike needs to be able to charge the battery completely when it is ridden.  Having said that, when the bike gets ridden it needs to be long enough to ensure that the battery is fully charged.

I can understand how the charge runs down - especially when you have the bike turn the alarm on and monitor for the fob to be within proximity etc. etc.  But I would have expected a battery to hold it's charge for longer than 4 days.  Something that I don't get is that the accessory power points on these bikes are not "switched" (well thats my understanding) meaning that they remain hot even when the bike is turned off.

This thread makes reference to a "parasitic draw" on the battery and there is a reflash that will address it - maybe this is an option for you.
Ulysses #30673
IMRG #AU100394
Current: RoadMaster (ebony and ivory)
Highett Victoria Australia
Quote 0 0
Dr.Shifty
crash wrote:
Something that I don't get is that the accessory power points on these bikes are not "switched" (well thats my understanding) meaning that they remain hot even when the bike is turned off.

This thread makes reference to a "parasitic draw" on the battery and there is a reflash that will address it - maybe this is an option for you.


The accessory points on my bike are switched. I've got one behind the headlight that powers my USB socket, it's switched. And the one under the seat I'm using for a tacho and it's switched. I think the lighter socket in the right saddlebag is not switched.

Perhaps the fairing bikes have their wiring set up differently, but I can't see them making two looms where one will do for all bikes.

The parasitic draw that the reflash fixed is for the console. If you turn off the bike the console goes to sleep. But if you then lock the saddlebags the console wakes up and goes into 'half-sleep' and it's this mode that drains the battery. Lock the bags first, then turn off the bike, and it's OK.
Cheers, Kim.

From Woodrising (no, nobody else has heard of it either)
Rides a Springfield Dark Horse
Quote 0 0
crash
Dr.Shifty wrote:


The accessory points on my bike are switched. I've got one behind the headlight that powers my USB socket, it's switched. And the one under the seat I'm using for a tacho and it's switched. I think the lighter socket in the right saddlebag is not switched.

Perhaps the fairing bikes have their wiring set up differently, but I can't see them making two looms where one will do for all bikes.

The parasitic draw that the reflash fixed is for the console. If you turn off the bike the console goes to sleep. But if you then lock the saddlebags the console wakes up and goes into 'half-sleep' and it's this mode that drains the battery. Lock the bags first, then turn off the bike, and it's OK.


Yep, mine has the console 🙂
My boot power and pannier power is hot all the time.
I don't have a 12v socket on the console - newer models don't have one.
Ulysses #30673
IMRG #AU100394
Current: RoadMaster (ebony and ivory)
Highett Victoria Australia
Quote 0 0