Poddy Show full post »
CHF007
Motorcycle tyres can make a huge differenceto how a bike handles . Years ago i mixed 2 different brands of tyres and it made the bike unrideable . If you leaned past 10-15 deg , the bike just wanted to fall over . I got half way to Sydney and turned around . I then had the matching new rear fitted to match the front and it made the bike better than ever .  I have the 19" front on my Roadmaster . I bought it while in the USA . I reasearched what tyre they had on the 19s here and fitted one of those . It gave the bike that new tyres feel x 3 . Much lighter and easier to turn , and no dramas at all  . I have to ask , who is paying for all this diagnostic work being done on your bike , including sending people from interstate .rates are over $100 an hour . How many hours do you think it would take to half disassemble the bike checking bearings etc . I realise you are dissapointed after spending so much , but you have to ask ? " WHOSE FAULT IS IT ??? " Many manufacturers only recommend particular tyres or brake pads or fuel or filters , and some bikes like a Honda Rune only had one manufacturer making tyres for it for years . So given the many variables like load and speed ratings , profiles and single or dual compounds , and then mixing that with all the variables its no wonder that many combinations  wont work . I would either go with stock tures or as what others have fitted , and how they work . My friend just had Avons fitted to her Victory Octane and was advised to mix 2 different model Avons to suit her riding style . End result is she is very happy . This is what INDIAN told me about the tripple trees supplied with the wheel .
The 19” wheel will fit with the original valanced front guard, although Indian Motorcycle recommend the new slim line guard is used. The new triple clamps have a different trail to accommodate the increased loads of the 19” wheel. Please note, the 19” front wheel is only suitable to be used on the Springfield, Chieftain and Roadmaster variants.

I hope this answers your question.
Quote 1 0
Poddy
CHF007 wrote:
Motorcycle tyres can make a huge differenceto how a bike handles . Years ago i mixed 2 different brands of tyres and it made the bike unrideable . If you leaned past 10-15 deg , the bike just wanted to fall over . I got half way to Sydney and turned around . I then had the matching new rear fitted to match the front and it made the bike better than ever .  I have the 19" front on my Roadmaster . I bought it while in the USA . I reasearched what tyre they had on the 19s here and fitted one of those . It gave the bike that new tyres feel x 3 . Much lighter and easier to turn , and no dramas at all  . I have to ask , who is paying for all this diagnostic work being done on your bike , including sending people from interstate .rates are over $100 an hour . How many hours do you think it would take to half disassemble the bike checking bearings etc . I realise you are dissapointed after spending so much , but you have to ask ? " WHOSE FAULT IS IT ??? " Many manufacturers only recommend particular tyres or brake pads or fuel or filters , and some bikes like a Honda Rune only had one manufacturer making tyres for it for years . So given the many variables like load and speed ratings , profiles and single or dual compounds , and then mixing that with all the variables its no wonder that many combinations  wont work . I would either go with stock tures or as what others have fitted , and how they work . My friend just had Avons fitted to her Victory Octane and was advised to mix 2 different model Avons to suit her riding style . End result is she is very happy . This is what INDIAN told me about the tripple trees supplied with the wheel .
The 19” wheel will fit with the original valanced front guard, although Indian Motorcycle recommend the new slim line guard is used. The new triple clamps have a different trail to accommodate the increased loads of the 19” wheel. Please note, the 19” front wheel is only suitable to be used on the Springfield, Chieftain and Roadmaster variants.

I hope this answers your question.
What tyre are you running, is it the Dunflop or did you get something else to work? 

Agree, tyres do make a huge difference however it is in my experience that they are not the sole cause of wobble, vibration yes, wobble on its own, no and in the test that Indian did they were running a mixed brand of tyre manufacturer and profile from front and rear, yet they are not claiming that on RM with a 19inch you have to run a mixed brand of manufactures to have a safe bike- hence why I cannot concur with their reasoning, especially in the absence of any other type of investigation.

Who's fault is it? I would say that would be in the promoter (seller) not the buyer, this was an OEM upgrade, not riders wish list, but that doesn't matter, you can win a moral victory and still be out of pocket, they won't be doing anymore so I won't be rushing to spend any more in that store which to a company of there size doesn't matter to them (or me I guess, just move on).

Moving forward, all cost will be at my expense, they have offered a solution to run mixed brands and profiles which I cannot agree with and now I will spend money to investigate the issue which they did not do. If Rick all All Americans cannot fix the issue then the bike will be sold or traded as riding a dangerous bike is not my cup of tea.

Thanks for your input 

Cheers
Poddy
Quote 0 0
CHF007
Poddy wrote:
What tyre are you running, is it the Dunflop or did you get something else to work? 

Agree, tyres do make a huge difference however it is in my experience that they are not the sole cause of wobble, vibration yes, wobble on its own, no and in the test that Indian did they were running a mixed brand of tyre manufacturer and profile from front and rear, yet they are not claiming that on RM with a 19inch you have to run a mixed brand of manufactures to have a safe bike- hence why I cannot concur with their reasoning, especially in the absence of any other type of investigation.

Who's fault is it? I would say that would be in the promoter (seller) not the buyer, this was an OEM upgrade, not riders wish list, but that doesn't matter, you can win a moral victory and still be out of pocket, they won't be doing anymore so I won't be rushing to spend any more in that store which to a company of there size doesn't matter to them (or me I guess, just move on).

Moving forward, all cost will be at my expense, they have offered a solution to run mixed brands and profiles which I cannot agree with and now I will spend money to investigate the issue which they did not do. If Rick all All Americans cannot fix the issue then the bike will be sold or traded as riding a dangerous bike is not my cup of tea.

Thanks for your input 

Its a shame that a simple solution cannot be found . Have you ridden a demo with 19 " front wheel and see how you felt about the tyres on that ?  Sometimes you just have to reset and go back to the start . Maybe even go back to the 16" front . A simple solution that will avoid selling the bike , returning stability and allowing you to enjoy your 116 cui kit . 😁
Quote 1 0
Poddy
CHF007 wrote:

Its a shame that a simple solution cannot be found . Have you ridden a demo with 19 " front wheel and see how you felt about the tyres on that ?  Sometimes you just have to reset and go back to the start . Maybe even go back to the 16" front . A simple solution that will avoid selling the bike , returning stability and allowing you to enjoy your 116 cui kit . 😁


I rode an MY18 with a 19inch which sold me on the improvements, the issue is that test riding on new DunFlops mask the rate the tyres drop off (4000 klms and they have no wet or dry grip) 

I could go back to the 16inch, how much that would cost I am not sure and also means $2500 for the new front was (currently is) as waste of money, all because Indian A) doesn't know their stuff or B) know their stuff and know they have stuffed up or C) couldn't be fecked trying to fix it.

Rick and I spoke for about 45 mins on Friday when Indian rang to tell me it was the Avon tyre, it was a good call, he laughed about the tyre, I laughed about the tyre and we both laugh about their process of elimination (or lack of ) so if nothing else I got to laugh about it.

Indian are returning the bike to me so I don't have to travel in to pick it up so that is one win I've had.

Cheers
Poddy
Quote 0 0
V-Twin
Poddy wrote:
I could go back to the 16inch, how much that would cost I am not sure and also means $2500 for the new front...
😳😬 Two-and-a-half-LARGE!? 🙈
Let's be kind to one another.
Melbourne, Victoria
Quote 1 0
Poddy
V-Twin wrote:
😳😬 Two-and-a-half-LARGE!? 🙈


LOL, Yep, anything with an I logo be that on the bike or on a receipt cost a small fortune 
Quote 0 0
CHF10
It's spelt DUNLOP. Just FYI. 
Live free or die!
Quote 1 0
CHF007
Poddy . Better to burn a little rather than a lot . Sell the 19" wheel strip off the Avon . Someone will buy it . Better than burning thousands tradin on another brand  , new bike .
Quote 1 0
Poddy
CHF10 wrote:
It's spelt DUNLOP. Just FYI. 


Its best spelt DunFlop as it clearly defines the ability of the product ;-) 
Quote 0 0
Poddy
CHF007 wrote:
Poddy . Better to burn a little rather than a lot . Sell the 19" wheel strip off the Avon . Someone will buy it . Better than burning thousands tradin on another brand  , new bike .


Lets see what Rick can do, he has already told me it would be more than a visual on a tyre 
Quote 1 0
CHF10

Poddy wrote:
Its best spelt DunFlop

(Removed by Admin: Provocative)

Live free or die!
Quote 0 0