Dan
I just got a pair of viking bags for my scout, good price ($220 delivered), love how they look and the quality looks great but fitting them is a right pain in the arse!
It should be pretty straightforward, work out position, mark and drill holes and bolt them on, easy if you say it quick but not so easy in reality.
Then when mounted they don't sit vertical so need to be spaced out at the top, then the left side brackets hit on the belt gaurd so now I need to make more spacers to space them out to clear that, then of course the bolts are too short.
I will be happy when I get it all right but it's definitely not a simple bolt on job.sb1.jpg 
Quote 6 0
Dan
Did this get moved, I was sure I put it in the scout section?
Quote 0 0
indianchief
Dan wrote:
Did this get moved, I was sure I put it in the scout section?
Yes it was relocated to accessories category.

If you are a new member, please visit 'Forum Help & Support' page to discover how to use this forum effectively.  Should you get stuck, post your questions on the same page.  One of our helpful members will assist you.
Quote 0 0
Matt01
Dan wrote:
I just got a pair of viking bags for my scout, good price ($220 delivered), love how they look and the quality looks great but fitting them is a right pain in the arse!
It should be pretty straightforward, work out position, mark and drill holes and bolt them on, easy if you say it quick but not so easy in reality.
Then when mounted they don't sit vertical so need to be spaced out at the top, then the left side brackets hit on the belt gaurd so now I need to make more spacers to space them out to clear that, then of course the bolts are too short.
I will be happy when I get it all right but it's definitely not a simple bolt on job.sb1.jpg 

They look like they were well worth the effort.
Quote 1 0
Hey Yu
Dan wrote:
I just got a pair of viking bags for my scout, good price ($220 delivered), love how they look and the quality looks great but fitting them is a right pain in the arse!
It should be pretty straightforward, work out position, mark and drill holes and bolt them on, easy if you say it quick but not so easy in reality.
Then when mounted they don't sit vertical so need to be spaced out at the top, then the left side brackets hit on the belt gaurd so now I need to make more spacers to space them out to clear that, then of course the bolts are too short.
I will be happy when I get it all right but it's definitely not a simple bolt on job.sb1.jpg 
The brackets with the Viking Bags are, as you have discovered, next to useless. A far better and easier solution, though not as cheap, is Easy Brackets.  https://www.greatbikegear.com/store/p71/Scout-EB.html#/
2014 Chief Vintage, Springfield Blue. 2015 Victory Cross Country Havasu Red/flames.
IMRG 10001
IIRA 239

Quote 0 0
Dr.Shifty
It sounds like you bolted the bags permanently to the bike. Have I got that right?

if you want to use on/off brackets like the EasyBrackets you will run into a problem of aligning the bracket holes to the spools. The Scout fender is not parallel down the sides, it is slightly rounded. This makes the spools point out in slightly different directions and they have to be modified to make them parallel.

When I put the Bibblebar bags on my Scout they came with stainless steel brackets instead of painted. That is an advantage worth chasing up.
Cheers, Kim.

From Woodrising (no, nobody else has heard of it either)
Rides a Springfield Dark Horse
Quote 0 0
Dan
Dr.Shifty wrote:
It sounds like you bolted the bags permanently to the bike. Have I got that right?

if you want to use on/off brackets like the EasyBrackets you will run into a problem of aligning the bracket holes to the spools. The Scout fender is not parallel down the sides, it is slightly rounded. This makes the spools point out in slightly different directions and they have to be modified to make them parallel.

When I put the Bibblebar bags on my Scout they came with stainless steel brackets instead of painted. That is an advantage worth chasing up.

Yep they are bolted on, not quick release but it's only 4 bolts if I want to take them off so not a big deal. You are correct in that the mounting bolts are not parallel to each other, I will likely have to modify them again if I put a passenger backrest on but for now I have them set up OK ðŸ‘
Quote 1 0
damienpearse
be careful with these, as I've broken 2 bolts with mine.
The right side front bolt broke as is the bag flapped around, and the left side rear when it bottomed out on the belt guard.
   image_0025526.jpg copy.jpg image_0028725.jpg    

I made a support bracket, that bolts on to the exhaust, but couldn't figure out what to do with the left side.
I found a cheap set of Indian bags and use them now instead  
image_0030132.jpgcopy.jpg 
Quote 2 0
V-Twin
be careful with these, as I've broken 2 bolts with mine.
The right side front bolt broke as is the bag flapped around, and the left side rear when it bottomed out on the belt guard.
I’m sorry to hear that your mounting bolts broke.  Are they Indian supplied bolts?  If so, could you get stronger bolts?
Let's be kind to one another.
Melbourne, Victoria
Quote 0 0
Texas87
There is this company (very famous in Italy) called Ends Cuoio. All their products look really high quality and it's also very easy to install them.
If you have time take a look at their youtube channel and official website. I'm thinking about getting one for mine... Let's hope to have the money by the beginning of spring ðŸ˜†
Quote 1 0
Kat
Late to the party on this post I know but in my defense I only joined this year. Dan how did you go with the Viking bags? Are/were they worth the hassle?
Quote 0 0
Dan
Kat wrote:
Late to the party on this post I know but in my defense I only joined this year. Dan how did you go with the Viking bags? Are/were they worth the hassle?

G'day Kat, they have been on there 16 months now, parked in the sun and rain and traveled over 30000km and still holding up fine so I reckon they were worth the hassle.👍
I lost one of the viking badges and contacted the seller to see if I could get a replacement badge but they said they didn't stock badges so stiff sh*t basically, I contacted Viking in the US and they would not ship one to Australia and were no help either so pretty piss poor customer service from both parties I reckon.👎 
cheers Dan
Quote 1 0
Kat

Hey Dan I contacted the US Store and they said we don’t ship to you try the motor house store. Found that a little weird since they have a few country flags at the bottom of the page and one looks Australian to me. 

Thanks for letting me know how they are going. Do you think they would be easier to fit on the bike with the bike easy mount brackets mentioned above. I’m not the greatest with tools, not the worst either and don’t want to stuff up the bike, bags or the job in general. Any pointers? 

Quote 0 0
Dan
G'day Kat, Motorcycle House Australia is where I got the bags from and delivery was quick and no problems, it was just the replacement badge that was too hard for them.
As for fitting the easy brackets, others have said they are good but I have never seen them so couldn't say if they were easier or not. The original mounts that came with the bags did go on but I didn't like how they sat angled in at the top , just looked crap to me not being upright, plus the lids clashed with the passenger seat and wouldn't open all the way hence why I spaced them out to sit square and clear everything. 
Quote 1 0